From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 12:02:14 CDT

Simon,
  If the server your connecting to works for other users, then the
problem must be with your local machine/laptop that you are attempting
to display the output on. Since 'glxgears' doesn't work, and it is a
very simple OpenGL demo, I suspect your local computer/laptop is missing
GLX support. If you are using a free X-windows server for Windows XP/7/8,
then most likely this is the issue. If you're running Linux on your local
computer/laptop, then there may be a problem with firewalls or the version
of the X11 software you're running.