From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:49:31 CST

Karsten,
  Though I don't personally have any significant involvement in
3-D printing other than writing and maintaining the VRML-2 and STL
scene exporters in VMD, I know that they are fairly complex devices
and they need more care and attention than most computer peripherals.
The 3-D printing equipment we use here is managed by an independent
group that provides services to the entire institute, billing each
department and research group for use. Since these 3-D printers typically
require a bit of expertise to run and maintain, and they tend to be
somewhat costly, getting one for shared use by many research groups
is probably the best way to go. I'd direct you to talk to the managers
of our facility here, but they are so overwhelmed with this kind of
email I fear they would not answer your question. You can see some of
the 3-D printing equipment our institute maintains here:
  http://www.itg.uiuc.edu/

They have a page for one of our older 3-D printers here:
  http://www.itg.uiuc.edu/vmil/equipment/genisys.htm

Hope that helps,