From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2013 - 17:06:46 CST

Hi,
  I think that you're going to want to use the merge structures
plugin (in the VMD extensions menu) or something similar to merge
the two PDBs from the outset. Once merged, you can make the atom
selection operations you listed below and save it all out to a new file.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/