From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 22:21:49 CST

John,

> Before I can make any suggestions, it would be very useful to know
>what hardware and operating system you're using. Also, it would be good

Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.2 (December 4, 2003)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Info) OpenGL renderer: Mesa GLX Indirect
Info) Features: STENCIL RN MTX
Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (0x0x0), Multitexture (6)
vmd >

Which has the same message of the other person that contacted you.

Hardware is:

Motherboard: SE7505VB2
Dual Xeon 2.4G
512M DDR RAM
120G HD
ATI FireGL X1 256M

>if you could send us the first few OpenGL lines that VMD prints when it
>starts on your machine. The new version should be _faster_ on all
>graphics boards, I'm quite surprised that you're having a different result.
>Tell us the info above and we can see what's going on in your specific case.

Yes, I was a bit surprised too. Suspect just something isn't set up right
somewhere ... which does appear to be the case.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au
+61 3 9903 9083