From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 00:42:08 CST

Hi Tyler,
  The problem is rooted in the fixed field sizes of the PDB file format,
which is what Stride takes as input. Unfortunately its easy for a large
macromolecule to overrun both the atom index and residue ID fields and
thus cause Stride to bomb. We've done a number of tests (Jordi actually)
and the fix is somewhat non-trivial if we want to continue to use a
standard Stride compilation. You're right that changing the Stride
source (along with VMD) altering field widths and formatting to something
other than strict PDB could be an expedient solution. Another method would
be to split up the Stride calculation into numerous calls remapping atom
IDs etc. Yet another option would be to interface VMD to other secondary
structure prediction packages/routines. I haven't determined which route
I want to take yet, but I hope to address this for the next rev of VMD.
As soon as I've got something that works I'll let people know so they can
test it.

Thanks,