From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 10:41:07 CDT

Hi,
  By default a user doesn't have a .vmdrc file.
You can run scripts like orient without a .vmdrc file if you want,
you just have to paste the commands that you want into the VMD
text window and run them manually. All the .vmdrc file does is
automate commands that you want to run every time you start VMD.
If you wish to make a .vmdrc file, just open a file with that name
(or vmd.rc if you're using MS Windows) in your home directory, and
add this command:
  menu main on

You (currently) need to have the menu main on command in the .vmdrc
file, but anything after that is optional and you can put in any
VMD text commands you like.

By the way, you'll need to edit the paths in the orient package
commands you listed below, since it seems unlikely that "/home/paul"
would exist on your machine. (Paul Grayson's directory, who wrote
the orient package)