From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 13:06:50 CDT

Hi,
  I think that if you could send me the output I asked for I will be
able to help you better than by guessing, which is all I can do if you
don't provide me with the information I've requested. Please send the
output of 'uname -a' and also tell me the name of the VMD installation
image (e.g. vmd-1.9.1.bin.LINUXAMD64.opengl.tar.gz) that you unpacked
and installed on your machine. Nobody can help you if you don't
provide additional information.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/