From: Martin, Erik W (Erik.Martin_at_stjude.org)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 08:58:11 CST

Calculating the "strength" of a h-bond is a non-trivial task and certainly beyond the scope of VMD. A lot of people do sort of a hand waving estimation where they will assume that shorter distance, linear h-bonds are relatively stronger. However, this does not always bare out to be the case. The only real way to get to the root of this issue is to preform QM calculations with a program like Gaussian and look at the coupling between H-bonding nuclei.

-Erik