From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2012 - 09:08:05 CDT

Hi,
  Problems with Tk fonts are generally caused not by the compilation of
VMD (or FLTK) but are usually the result of a lack of fonts installed
with the X11 Windowing system. Tk obtains its fonts by querying the
host windowing system for fonts that match the characteristics of a request.
If the host windowing system has no match, then Tk tries to fallback to
some font that is available.

>From the description below, it sounds to me like there might be something
amiss the X11 window system fonts or one of the X11 libraries on the machine
you're using, and that this is preventing the Tk library embedded in
VMD from getting anything other than the default font.

Since you're able to get a simple test to work in a standalone interpreter,
one thing that may be worth checking is whether there might be some
problem with the 64-bit libs on your machine. Is the "tclsh" that you
run in your example below a 32-bit or 64-bit library? What do you get
from this command, when you run it in your tclsh:
  puts "$tcl_version"
  puts "$tk_version"