From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2012 - 09:30:05 CDT

Daniele,
  I see from your VMD startup window that you're actually using a
pre-release alpha version of VMD 1.9.1, and not the final production release.
I would recommend that you download the _final_ version of VMD 1.9.1, and
see if you still encounter this problem or not. The pre-release alpha
versions we make available periodically are meant primarily for testing
and bug reporting, and may still contain bugs compared to the final release
versions, so when we release the "final" version of any given VMD version,
I always highly recommend that anyone using a test version should immediately
upgrade. Let me know if you still encounter the problem with the final
VMD 1.9.1 version or not.