From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2012 - 16:15:48 CDT

Hi,
  Axel covered the details, but the short description is that the normal
VMD builds require a full X-windows installation, working OpenGL drivers,
and C++ libraries etc. If your cluster installation doesn't contain X-windows
libraries, then the normal VMD builds will not run. Your options in such a
case are either to compile VMD to run purely in text mode (no graphics,
no graphical interfaces), and use it purely through the scripting interfaces.