From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2011 - 12:51:11 CST

Hi,
  This sounds to me like something you would want to do using some
scripting with atom selection "move" operations if you already have
the polymers merged into the same VMD "molecule" as the nanotube.
If so, once you update the positions with the script(s), you could
then write the final structure out to a file using the "write"
atom selection subcommand, or by using the VMD graphical interfaces.

Perhaps someone else can give you more specific guidance or suggest
an existing tool for this purpose.