From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 10:09:55 CDT

Hi,
  VMD _will_ write angles/dihedrals/impropers and cross-terms,
but only if they were loaded from another file. It will warn you
if you write a PSF that lacks these components. There are programs
out there (e.g. Willy Wriggers SITUS package) that read PSF files
for other purposes that do not need all of the fields that would be
required for an MD simulation, and this is why VMD allows you to write
incomplete PSF files, though it warns you about it.
Obviously you cannot use an incomplete PSF file for a full MD simulation.