From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 14:13:11 CDT

Dear Lubos,
  You are correct, I've stopped distributing the Mesa versions of
VMD on Linux intentionally. The Mesa versions have been causing
me problems because people were using them instead of the OpenGL
version when they should ONLY be using the Mesa version in cases
of dire need such as yours. I kept getting emails from people
wondering why they weren't getting accelerated 3-D when they used the
Mesa version, so I concluded it would be better not to make it
available except by specific requests... ;-)

If you want to get a copy of the Mesa version let me know and I'll
post it so you can download it.

The best long-term solution will be for us to provide Free/Net/OpenBSD
native binaries but so far there are just a few people using those
platforms for molecular modeling since they currently lack drivers
for hardware accelerated OpenGL. (FreeBSD just got some NVidia drivers
but I haven't heard from anyone about how well they work yet..)

Thanks,