From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 13:32:18 CDT

Raymond,
  The problem you're having on Linux is because you're running VMD 1.6!!!
In order to use psfgen, solvate, or any of the plugins written in the
last several years you need to install VMD 1.8.x on your machine.
The version you're using now is 2 years old, which may not seem like
much, but from the point of view of VMD development, that's ancient
history already! :)

If you need help getting the new version installed on Linux, let me know.

Thanks,