From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 09:25:00 CST

Peter,
  Wow, it is unfortunate that Paraview keeps having this problem.
I have no trouble loading the VMD-generated .obj files into other tools
like Maya and 3DS Max, so I expect that this is again an issue with Paraview
itself. What rendering are you trying to do within Paraview?
Given the stability issues you have encountered, you might
make more forward progress using a different tool rather than paraview.
If all you need to do is display geometry imported from VMD along with
some other geometric information, you could probably do that in a number
of alternative ways. If you tell me more about what you're trying to
achieve, I might be able to give further suggestions.