From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2010 - 11:55:24 CST

Hi,
  You can write simple scripts to do this type of thing, you'll want to
look at the movie rendering example scripts here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/

If you just want to be able to use ambient occlusion lighting, you can
actually do that much more easily using the built-in Tachyon renderer,
as described here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/tachyonao/
and here:
  http://bionano.physics.illinois.edu/Tutorials/
  http://bionano.physics.illinois.edu/Tutorials/tachyonGuide.pdf
  http://bionano.physics.illinois.edu/Tutorials/tachyonGuide.tar.gz

Also, Tachyon works automatically with the VMD movie maker plugin
so you wouldn't have to write your own scripts.