From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2010 - 13:44:37 CST

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM, ABEL Stephane 175950
<Stephane.ABEL_at_cea.fr> wrote:
> Yes,  Axel, to learn Tcl is indeed a good option. But it will take a long time to be efficient.

it is actually not that bad. tcl is a programming language like many others
and has very similar features. the most difficult thing typically is
to understand
the somewhat quirky behavior of using the square brackets ([ ]). which is
more-or-less the same as backward quotes (` `) in shell scripts.

all you want to do for now, is just to modify a given script to suit your needs.
that requires much less knowledge than writing something new.

cheers,
    axel.

> Stéphane
>

> ________________________________
>
> De: Axel Kohlmeyer [mailto:akohlmey_at_gmail.com]
> Date: jeu. 02/12/2010 17:47
> À: ABEL Stephane 175950
> Cc: vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Objet : Re: vmd-l: Plot the value of the current frame in the Progress Bar for elapsed Time
>

> dear stephane,
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM, ABEL Stephane 175950
> <Stephane.ABEL_at_cea.fr> wrote:
>> Dear VMD users
>>
>> I have read an old message (02/09) about the Progress Bar for elapsed Time
>>
>> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/13013.html
>>
>> and dowloaded the corresponding script (display_time_bar.tcl) from the Axel's website. As said before this script is very cool. However, since I am not very familiar with the tcl language, it is not clear to me where the place the following command [format "Time: %f ps" $timestepvariable] suggested by Axel in the display_time_bar.tcl script to show the value of the current time in the progress Bar.
>
> i think at this point there is no more easy way out. if you cannot extract
> from the existing script how to modify it, you either have to teach
> yourself enough tcl / vmd scripting to understand what this is
> all about, or you can hire somebody to write custom code for you,
> or you give up. there are good tutorials for tcl (check out www.tcl.tk)
> and also for vmd scripting. it will pay off in many ways to learn this well.
>
> cheers,
>   axel.
>

>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>
>> Stéphane
>>

> --
> Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer
> akohlmey_at_gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0
>
> Institute for Computational Molecular Science

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer