From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2010 - 09:49:28 CDT

Hi,
  It sounds like you are loading the "samples" one at a time and
rendering them each by hand, yes? If so, that's the reason that
VMD keeps resizing things. If you load all of the "samples" into
separate molecules first, and then manipulate the scene to get it
the way you want it, VMD will not subsequently resize it.
To make renderings of each individual sample, you can toggle the different
molecules on and off by double-clicking the "D" in their respective
status lines in the molecule browser within the main VMD window, which
toggles them to be displayed or hidden.
The automatic resizing VMD does should only occur when you first load
the structure files, so you should be able to make your renderings
this way.