From: Kirby Vandivort (kvandivo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 16:00:47 CST

A while back I had written a script to use the space navigator device to
record movies. It was a rough script that could use a lot of polishing, but
it is basically the same idea as you are trying to do. And, it worked
exactly as you mentioned. I used 'logfile' to initially save the set of
commands.

My script then traced the userframe vars (described at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/vmdmovie/ ) and iterated through
each step of the log file. At the time, I had plans to add in a frame
editor so that pauses, etc could be inserted, but I simply didn't have the
time to work on it. This would be a pretty easy thing to do, however, and
would be a great addition to VMD's script library. I've been trying to find
my script from a couple of years ago, but haven't had a lot of luck yet. It
was simple enough that it would be easy to recreate, but if I run across it,
I'll send a copy. Good luck!

Kirby

--
Kirby Vandivort