From: Marc Baaden (baaden_at_smplinux.de)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 14:21:19 CDT

>>> John Stone said:
>> When the connection first occurs, endianness is determined by
>> the byte order of integers that come early in 'handshake' process.
>> Check out the IMDSim::handshake() code in VMD. The server (NAMD, Protomol,
>> or your program) should be sending an integer '1', VMD listens for this
>> and from this message determines the endianism of the remote host.

Yes, I found this routine and its definition. But what I don't understand is
where the integer '1' is sent (which routine).

Because from my understanding of the NAMD code it schematically does
things in the following order

vmdsock_create();
vmdsock_bind(sock, port);
vmdsock_listen(sock);
vmdsock_selread(sock, 3600); <== here my error occurs
vmdsock_accept(sock);
imd_handshake(sock); <== '1' is exchanged here, no ?
[..]

The selread subroutine however does not seem to send the 1 signal for
determining endianness, but debugging shows me that it is exactly at
this point (at rc = select(s->sd+1, &rfd, NULL, NULL, &tv); to be exact)
that VMD produces the endianness error.

I'll keep on searching ..

>> Regarding licensing: the standard VMD/NAMD licenses allow up to 10% of the
>> non-comment source code lines to be re-used, so that should easily cover
>> all of the IMD files you're interested in.

Yes indeed. That is great news.

Thanks,
Marc

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden_at_smplinux.de      -      http://www.marc-baaden.de