From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 13:55:17 CDT

Marc,
  When the connection first occurs, endianness is determined by
the byte order of integers that come early in 'handshake' process.
Check out the IMDSim::handshake() code in VMD. The server (NAMD, Protomol,
or your program) should be sending an integer '1', VMD listens for this
and from this message determines the endianism of the remote host.

Regarding licensing: the standard VMD/NAMD licenses allow up to 10% of the
non-comment source code lines to be re-used, so that should easily cover
all of the IMD files you're interested in.

Thanks,