From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 10:10:51 CST

Hi,
  If you're loading an XTC file, the file will be larger in memory than it
is on disk due to the way those files are compressed. VMD currently uses
12 bytes of memory per-atom per-frame, so loading a trajectory of 150,000
atoms will consume just over 1.8MB of RAM per frame, and if you load 2,000
frames, that works out to 3600MB, which is probably more than your machine
actually has available by the time your windowing system and other
services are running... If you restrict your loads to 1500 frames or so
you'll have much less trouble here.