From: maria goranovic (mariagoranovic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 08:26:00 CST

Hi Axel,

- I am using an x86_64 cpu, a 64-bit ubuntu, and 64-bit ubuntu (I think its
version 8.4).
- The swap memory is ~ 4 GB, and the physical memory is also ~ 4GB.
- Nothing else which is memory consuming is running on the system (firefox,
and a few shells)
- The trajectory is gromacs .xtc format. Each frame is ~ 150,000 atoms.

- When I load up such a trajectory of 2000 frames (~ 500MB), all the
physical memory is used, but very little swap (~ 700 MB) is used. Why does
VMD occupy more than 3 GB of physical memory if only a 500 MB trajectory is
being loaded ?

- If I load up a bigger trajectory ( ~ 1.2 GB), I do not know how much
memory is being used, because the system freezes.

Yes, the disk seems active when the machine freezes. It is a memory issue
for sure.

Thank you for the answers in advance

I will try with a newer VMD,

-Maria

I will try installing 1.8.7 and see if that works better.