From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 01:56:14 CST

Hi,
  From your description, it sounds to me like your problem is
either related to the graphics startup or that the problem might
be caused by a conflict with a DLL installed by another program
interfering with the ones used by VMD. One way to narrow this
down somewhat would be to run VMD in text mode and see if you
still encounter the crash. Do this as follows:

Start a command shell (use the "run" item in the start menu if you're
running XP, and specify "cmd" as the name of the program).

Once you have a command shell, do this and see what happens:

C:\>
C:\>"Program Files\University of Illinois\VMD\vmd" -dispdev text
Info) VMD for WIN32, version 1.8.7 (August 1, 2009)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 1 CPU detected.
Info) Free system memory: 529MB (51%)
Info) No CUDA accelerator devices available.
Info) No joysticks found. Joystick interface disabled.
Found 68 plugins or data handlers in directory
        'C:/Program Files/University of Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile'.
vmd > quit
Info) VMD for WIN32, version 1.8.7 (August 1, 2009)
Info) Exiting normally.
C:\>