From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 13:03:05 CST

Hi Rich,
  I just got back from your neck of the woods. I passed
through Livermore twice last week while I was out in California
visiting relatives. Someday I'll have to make a point to visit
the lab and some of the people I know there when I'm out that way.

Which version of AIX is your machine using? My builds on an AIX 6.x
test machine at NCSA didn't have any of these problems. I compiled
the Tcl/Tk libraries for myself, but I didn't use any particularly
unusual build flags for those compiles. In the past with certain versions
of AIX and xlc I have had to do things like override the compilation flags
to reduce optimization in order to get a stable build, but in my recent
builds on the AIX 6.x machine at NCSA I didn't need to do this.
If you can tell me which exact Tcl/Tk minor version you're using,
I can try doing a build of the same rev and see if this is a problem
with Tcl itself or an interaction with VMD and Tcl.