From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 13:18:54 CST

Hi,
  Since you previously mentioned that you have an Intel graphics
chipset in this machine, my first suggestion would be to try upgrading
the drivers for it. Which Intel graphics driver are you using on
your machine? You might compare the version you're using vs. what's
on these web sites:
  http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm
  http://intellinuxgraphics.org/index.html