From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 16:32:12 CST

Hi,
  This is likely caused by a recent auto-patching/update on your machine
pulling in new (broken) X11 libraries related to GLX and/or fiddling the
video driver. Since reverting to your previously stable video driver
didn't cure the problem, I'm assuming this is a problem in the GLX
remote protocol libraries used by the X server itself. Can you determine
what files were actually updated? I'd check the dates on files in
/usr/X11* and look for things that have changed in the last month or so.
one month:
  find . -mtime -30

two months:
  find . -mtime -60