From: Gard Nelson (gardnersnake23_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 16:17:45 CST

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to run VMD remotely from my workstation. Everything used to work
fine, but about a week ago, i started getting error messages saying
"BadLength" and "GLXBadLargeRequest" (see below). About half of the
representations seem to work fine (VDW and New Cartoon are ok), but the rest
(lines, points, h-bonds, polyhedra...) don't show anything on the VMD
window. I checked the mailing list and found that these messages tend to be
related to graphics cards. Turns out my video drivers were updated
recently, so i reverted to the old ones, but i still have the same problem.
I've tried different files and file types with the same results. I can,
however, view the files on an older (32 bit) installation with no problem.
I've contacted the local tech support guys and we're all stumped. Any
ideas? Thanks a ton for your help!

Gard Nelson

This is everything I get when I run VMD:

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.8.7 (August 1, 2009)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 7757MB (97%)
Info) No CUDA accelerator devices available.
Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce 9500 GT/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MDE MTX NPOT PP PS
Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)
Info) File loading in progress, please wait.
Info) Using plugin pdb for structure file 4PTI.pdb
Info) Using plugin pdb for coordinates from file 4PTI.pdb
Info) Determining bond structure from distance search ...
Info) Eliminating bonds duplicated from existing structure...
Info) Finished with coordinate file 4PTI.pdb.
Info) Analyzing structure ...
Info) Atoms: 514
Info) Bonds: 468
Info) Angles: 0 Dihedrals: 0 Impropers: 0 Cross-terms: 0
Info) Bondtypes: 0 Angletypes: 0 Dihedraltypes: 0 Impropertypes: 0
Info) Residues: 118
Info) Waters: 60
Info) Segments: 1
Info) Fragments: 61 Protein: 1 Nucleic: 0
XRequest.143: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
error) 0x1900045
XRequest.143: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
error) 0x1900045
XRequest.143: GLXBadLargeRequest 0x2
XRequest.143: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
error) 0x1900045

The error messages repeat for a while. If i try to load a representation it
doesn't like (like lines or points), I get more of the same generated.