From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 17:03:07 CST

Rich,
  Show me your configuration options, it looks to me like
you may not have compiled with the right combination of
configuration options. In particular the "Starting VMD text interpreter..."
message indicates to me that Tcl didn't startup and you fell through
to a default catch-all case that's basically a stub text interpreter
we only ever use for testing purposes.