From: Rob (spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 18:12:46 CST

John Stone wrote on Wed Dec 16 2009:

> I'm not following what you mean by the "Show" field
> of the choose molecule window. Are you referring to
> the file type chooser?
> The FLTK window system has specific requirements
> for the interpretation
of special characters such as "|",
> and from what you're saying it sounds
to me like you
> have triggered FLTK's interpretation of your
> plugin.prettyname

My abinit plugin code is here:
http://skku.homeip.net/lahaye/vmd/abinitplugin.c

In the code I use this line:

abinitplugin.filename_extension =
"*|*_GEO|*_DEN|*_WFK|*_POT|*_VHA|*_VHXC|*_VXC"

to kind of bypass the 'dot' convention.
You can see the result here:

http://skku.homeip.net/lahaye/vmd/Fileselection.jpg

The first single asterisk will give "*.*" in the file selection
list, but all the others appear without a dot, e.g. "*_GEO",
"*_DEN" etc.

The fact that there's no dot in the 2nd, 3rd, etc elements,
points out a bug in the FLTK interface? Then at the
moment this bug keep me happy :).

Please understand me well: I'm not against the 'dot' stuff;
but it's now coded in a way that one can't choose.
My option would be: why not let the dot become part of
the 'prettyname string'? If software requires a dot, just put
it in there -- if most software requires it, most will get a
dot there....:).

It would increase the file selection flexibility.

Rob.