From: Kirby Vandivort (kvandivo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 11:54:44 CDT

Jeremias Corradi wrote:
> hi Kirby,
> thank you for your soon answer, you're right, i'm ussing VMD 1.8.7, and
> i see thousands of 'dots' appearing fairly fast at the beginning of the
> download process, but after some minutes, the process start to become
> slower until it seams to be unchangeable. I don't know if its possible
> to have some problems with the internet conection because i'm using a
> proxy conection in my workplace. I don't think that this is the problem
> because files "nodes.dmp" and "names.dmp" have been downloaded properly.
> The computer was downloading the gi_taxid_prot file all night long and
> it couldn't finish... i don't know how much time it would require...
>
> Thank you very much
> i just have to wait...!!!
>
> Jere

Jere,

Sounds like that is the problem. If the other files are downloading properly,
it sounds like this is just a size issue. Maybe your workplace has maximum
sizes for file transfers or something.

If you are continually unsuccessful, you could attempt to download the file
manually, though this takes several steps and could be easy to mess up.. The
URL is given in the console. You could download the .gz file to the directory
that it states, and then uncompress the gz file (it will uncompress into a file
that is 345,176,247 bytes). Then you would need to edit the .multisecrc file in
your home directory to have the following:

  <gi_tax_map>
   <version>
    20080726
   </version>

   <filename>
    gi_taxid_prot.dmp.gz
   </filename>
</gi_tax_map>

in it. We don't recommend the manual method because it could cause you to miss
out on updates and it is easy to make a mistake in the process.

Kirby