From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 10:39:18 CDT

Hi,
  Does VMD run correctly for you by itself? The main menu should
appear if it was installed correctly and you don't have an empty .vmdrc
in your home directory. Once you've verified that VMD itself is working
fine, the next question I'd ask is whether you're loading any coordinates
with that PSF file or just the PSF file. Unless you load coordinates as
well, nothing will be displayed in the VMD graphics window. VMD needs
the atomic coordinates to be able to draw anything. The PSF file only
contains the structure data (e.g. bonds/angles/dihedrals/etc). When you
loaded it in VMD 1.8.6, did the saved state also load a PDB file or some
other coordinate file, or not?