From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 02:42:15 CDT

Hi,
  As you've noticed, the volumetric coloring isn't (yet) supported
by any of the external renderers. In the next two weeks I'll be working
on getting this working for Tachyon for VMD 1.8.7.
Also, although I won't have time to add it for VMD 1.8.7,
I plan to add support for this to POV-Ray renderings
as well assuming no unsolvable technical issues arise.
The other renderers will likely never support this feature
with full quality since they (to my knowledge) lack the ability to
perform 3-D texturing. It may be possible to have VMD reassign
triangle vertex colors by doing a very crude texture sampling
internally, but this will not produce the same quality image
that one sees in the VMD OpenGL window. In any case, I'll let people
know when a test version is available that implements this in Tachyon.