From: JT (JTibbitt_at_odu.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 20:31:09 CDT

John,
When I type something like the following (which appears in this post
- http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/13308.html):

1 4
   \ /
     2 ---------- 3

There should be a large number of spaces between the 1 and 4 on the
first line and between the \ and / on the second line. The above
diagram represents 4 atoms connected as 1-2-3-4, except they connect
in a U-shaped pattern, with the 1 (top left), 2 (bottom middle-left),
3 (bottom middle-right) and 4 (top right). I typed my message using
the spacebar to generate the spaces, but when I go to the VMD-L page
(linked above), it displays no spaces. I checked it using 3 different
browsers. Am I doing something incorrectly by posting spaces like
this? I'm not quite following you when you speak of the 'HTML
version' versus 'actual count of spaces'. I was hoping that other
people's web browsers would allow them to see my intended number of
spaces.
Perplexed,
Jeff Tibbitt