From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 10:36:12 CST

Ramon,
  VMD is already executing with "VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS" mode, as it detected
your ATI driver and reduced functionality to a "safe subset".
The ATI drivers have had a long history of stability issues on
Linux, which is somewhat surprising since their corresponding
Windows drivers have typically worked well. My suggestion is to try
various different versions of the ATI drivers, both newer, and older
than the one you're using presently. There's a chance that the problems
you're having are specific to particular driver versions, so aside
from waiting for a response from AMD/ATI, I would strongly recommend
experimenting with other driver versions. Perhaps others on VMD-L
with AMD/ATI hardware can comment on their experiences?