From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:42:20 CST

Hi,
  I'm expecting that the Desmond plugins will be incorporated
into the VMD plugin tree soon, based on some recent emails I've
had with our friends at D.E. Shaw. If this goes as planned, we'll
be able to provide the Desmond plugins with VMD by default, so you won't
typically have to compile from source code anymore.

That said, the particular problem that you're having sounds like you've
loaded a 64-bit build of the plugin into a 32-bit VMD installation, which
is why you're getting the "wrong ELF class" warnings. You need to use a
matching plugin build (i.e. 32-bit plugin for 32-bit VMD, 64-bit plugin for
64-bit VMD).

Once there's a test build of VMD 1.8.7 available that includes the
Desmond plugins, I will let people know.