From: Ramon Crehuet (rcsqtc_at_iqac.csic.es)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 06:09:27 CST

Der VMD users,
I've recently installed VMD on an Opensuse 11.1 box with an ATI HD 2400
card using the ATI driver.
When I open the VMD, the OpenGL window (where molecues are displayed) is
transparent. I see the background windows. When I move the molecule then
it shows its content, flickering. Has anybody encountered this problem?
It is really annoying!
Here are the first welcome lines in the console:

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.8.6 (April 6, 2007)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 3476MB (87%)
Info) ATI Linux driver detected, limiting features to avoid driver bugs.
Info) Set the environment variable VMDDISABLEATILINUXWORKAROUND
Info) to enable full functionality on a known-safe driver version.
Info) OpenGL renderer: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (4096x4096), 3-D (8192x8192x8192), Multitexture (8)

Thanks for your attention,
Ramon