From: Irene Newhouse (einew_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 15:17:56 CDT

We recently got a linux box for MD data processing, but are having problems with VMD 1.8.6. The information that's input into boxes is only intermittently accepted, or not at all. For instance, when loading a new molecule, the browser bar freezes up before you can find your working dir. You can still type it in, so that's merely annoying. However, when you try to use the Extensions, frequently it won't accept any user input & that means you can't do what you want- RMSD & autopsfgen are two things we've tried recently that worked as expected when we switched machines to a Windows box, but did not detect the user input on the linux box.

The system is an x86_64 from Dell, dual core, running Red Hat Enterprise linux v 5.

Back in June, we tried the alpha releases of VMD & those didn't work any better. We've noticed there's new ones from last month. Should we be trying those, or is there something else going on?

Thanks!
Irene Newhouse