From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 16:03:48 CDT

Hi,
  I'm guessing this is being caused by an interaction between Tcl/Tk 8.4
and the "SCIM" internationalization features in the new Linux distrubutions.
This has come up previously with some of the Suse Linux distributions.
I'll have test versions based on Tcl 8.5.x available in the near future
which should alleviate this issue once and for all. This issue is mentioned
(for Suse) in the VMD 1.8.6 Linux release notes:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/linuxrelnotes.html

>From the VMD 1.8.6 release notes:
  Suse 10.x users may experience problems using the Tk input fields of VMD as a result of known problems with Tcl/Tk and SCIM (which Suses uses by default):
  http://lists.suse.com/archive/m17n/2006-Mar/0007.html http://lists.suse.com/archive/m17n/2006-Mar/0008.html http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/Tcl-core/3114542

The only solutions currently available for this problem are either to disable SCIM, or to recompile VMD against the new Tcl 8.4.13 versions that include SCIM input fixes. SCIM can be disabled (for VMD) with: XMODIFIERS=@im=local

I'd try the SCIM disable workaround and see if that works for you or not.