From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 11:27:01 CDT

Hi,
  Generally speaking, not all of the things that VMD is able to
render interactively will be rendered in by any particular external
renderer. This is the result of the wide range in the completeness
of capabilities and features supported by the external renderers vs.
what exists in the VMD OpenGL renderer. Of the external renderers,
the POV-Ray and Tachyon support are the most complete, but even they
have limitations as you have discovered. The specific issue you have
raised is something I'm working on presently, and I plan to have addressed
before VMD 1.8.7 is released. I've got a couple other rendering related
things I have on my TODO list, and I'll probably do them all at once.
For VMD 1.8.7, I'll likely only have texturing implemented for Tachyon.
It should be possible to implement it for POV-Ray as well, but I think
that's going to have to wait for a subsequent release. I'll send an email
to VMD-L when I have the new rendering code in place for Tachyon, so
that people can test it. If there are motivated people interested in
working on improving the POV-Ray export, I'd be happy to give guidance
in developing the code.