From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 18:14:03 CDT

Hi,
  I've implemented a revised version of the polyhedral representation
that made the code portable, and reduces the chances of crashing VMD
in various cases. It still needs more work to greatly reduce the
amount of memory consumed for the graphics geometry it generates for
large structures, but it should be fine for people to try out now.
I've posted test builds of the latest version which includes the
new polyhedral representation on the VMD alpha directory in biofs,
described here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

Give it a spin and let me know how it goes. I'll continue working
on the graphics part of the code to reduce memory consumption for
large structures, but it should be quite usable on small things already.

Cheers,
  John