From: James Irving (irving.james_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 21:14:14 CDT

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone else has had this problem.

I've been using VMD 1.8.6 for a couple of months on my OSX leopard
macbook pro, and recently VMD 1.8.7(CUDA). Both have worked fine.

Two obvious changes to my system: an auto-upgrade from OSX10.5.2 to
OSX10.5.3, and installation of ActiveTcl 8.4.16 followed by 8.5.2

VMD opens OK from the Applications folder
When I bring up the 'load molecule' dialog at some point VMD crashes -
either straight away, or after I've loaded a coordinate set, or after
The error on crash is either 'Bus error' or 'Segmentation fault'
This happens on both versions of VMD
ActiveTcl version made no difference

When I run VMD from within gdb, the error messages produced are typically:

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0xa099b00c
0xffff1281 in __longcopy ()

or

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x440b0004
0x92d8daba in _CFDoExceptionOperation ()

Thanks for any assistance,
James