From: Brendan O'Malley (brendan.omalley_at_rmit.edu.au)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 19:22:45 CDT

I'm attempting to use a Isense 900 Wand with VMD but cannot get VMD to recognise it. I've installed VRPN and used the printvals program to ensure that VRPN is communicating properly with the wand, which it is - it prints out both tracker position and orientation as well as recognising all the wand buttons. In the VRPN configuration file vrpn.cfg I simply name the Isense900 - Tracker0 and then modify the .vmdsensors file to be : device fastrak vrpntracker://aelous/Tracker0:0. I then go to the Tracker meu, create a tool, then try to add the device and get the error message:

Found device 'fastrak1' on line 35.
Info) Sensor: loading USL
ERROR) Bad sensor type specified or conflicting sensor specified
ERROR) type already exists for this tool.
ERROR) Possibilities are:

I've tried using the IP address for the host machine (both VMD and the tracker are running on the same host) and modifying the Tracker portion e.g. using Tracker0 instead of Tracker0:0, but to no avail.
Has anyone had any experience with Isense or Polhemus trackers and VMD?

Best Regards

Dr. Brendan O'Malley
Applied Chemistry Dept
RMIT University