From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 13:13:47 CST

Dear Tom,
  Though VMD will read multi-frame PDB files as a trajectory, it does
not store any per-timestep information other than the atom coordinates
(yet). Recently a number of people have been asking how to do this
sort of thing, but the simple answer is that VMD doesn't yet provide
support for per-timestep bonds, coloring, etc. The only way to change
colors on a per-timestep basis in the current versions of the software
is to write a script that re-colors the molecule via the "beta" field,
changing the colors every frame. An example of coloring by script is
shown in the "betacolor_distance" example here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7/ug/node178.html
If you combine that script with a simple loop to drive
the trajectory animation, you should be able to assign any colors
you want on a per-frame basis. In the long run, we are considering
teaching VMD to store much more information (optionally) per-timestep
so that scripts like these are no longer necessary.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,