From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 16:17:35 CDT

Dear Michael,
  Here are some additional answers to your questions:

  1) ask sergei_at_ks.uiuc.edu (per Justin's message from a few minutes ago)

  2) Yes, VMD can be used to give presentations on laptops with projectors.
     If you want to give good real-time presentations using VMD on a laptop,
     it is important that you have a pretty fast laptop, with a good amount
     of memory, and the fastest graphics you can get on the laptop. There
     are a new generation of laptops just coming onto the market now which
     have the NVidia GeForce 2 GO chips on them, these would likely be the
     best performing laptop graphics option for VMD, running several times
     faster for VMD than all of the laptop graphics hardware I've seen to date.

  3) See Brian Bennion's comments on getting Raster3D to work, in his email
     from the other day. An alternative would be to use one of the other
     external rendering programs supported by VMD such as Tachyon or POV-Ray.
     We have started to include Tachyon binaries in with VMD recently,
     specifically to make it easier for Windows users of VMD to ray trace
     their VMD images. Tachyon is a ray tracing program that I developed, so
     if you have questions about it, please feel free to ask. Tachyon runs
     at least as fast as Raster3D does and has fewer size limitations etc,
     so you may wish to consider using it, if you have no particular preference
     for using Raster3D or POV-Ray.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,