From: Angelo R. Rossi (rossi_at_watson.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 08:20:42 CST

Hello John Stone:

Actually the question regarding vmd, linux, dri, mesa, etc. is very
relevant to me. Basically I have the following
scenario: I have a 3dfx VooDoo 5 5500 AGP graphics card that I want to
install in my linux box and run vmd.

Can you give me a rough overview from 10000 feet of what is required?
What do I have to install?

Obviously, I need XFree86 4.02 but what then? Do I need DRI, MESA, GLX,
GLU, GLUT? Where do I
get them? How about Glide3x? Can you please give me a level setting of
how all this is put together on a Linux box? And how I should install
it?

I realize that this appeal for help is not directly related to VMD, but
I really want to get VMD running in an
accelerated environment. and I need to get over this barrier first.

I really appreciate any input you can give me to my question.

Best regards,

Angelo

--
Angelo R. Rossi