From: C. Parry (furrow99_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 18:02:17 CST

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/apbsrun/colorbypot.html

> I have followed the steps carefully. First, I load
> the
> structure (fas2.pqr) and display it (drawing) as
> surface. Next, I load the volume data into the
> existing (same one fas2) molecule: mol addfile
> pot.dx,
> and the drawing method to 'volume.' No color change
> even when I adjust the color range tab.
>
> Could you tell me what I am missing?

This appears to be software-hardware implementation;
see also,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/8171.html
and follow up.
> 2. What specific steps would I need to take to
> display
> just a few residues around a given residue?

This is the usual way: create a representation for the
residue selection you wish to map as surface.

> 3. When I invoke VMD at command '$ vmd -e fas2.vmd'
> the VMD display freezes - so I have to depend on the
> icon.

This appears to be related to 1), 3-D texturing
mapping. I do not experience the hang up under a linux
operating system (on a linux machine).

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com
**