From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 11:29:58 CDT

Hi,
  What PDB code is the file that you're working with? Or is this
file generated from another package?

VMD itself doesn't care much about the residue numbering much as it
will create its own internal residue numbering. If you're trying to
build a structure for simulation however, you'll have to get
autopsf/psfgen/etc to be happy with the PDB however.