From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 13:31:15 CDT

Other than a few key atom names (e.g. "CA", various hydrogens, etc) VMD
doesn't worry too much about the atom types for the purposes of display.
If the PDB file contains the chemical element symbol in the ATOM records,
then VMD will recognize all of the atoms more accurately, even in the case
that unusual atom names are assigned. VMD tries to be somewhat permissive
in accepting whatever you throw at it where possible. Plugins like
autopsf and paratool need much more specificity however and they employ
their own rules for atom typing etc.